Re: FPWD Review Request: HTML+RDFa

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:49:56 -0400
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
CC: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, RDFa Developers <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Shane McCarron wrote:
> Thanks.  Okay, now for the obvious question.  How does the system deal
> with conflicts between SVG element names and HTML element names (e.g.,
> there is an 'a' element in SVG and an 'a' element in HTML)?

By keeping track of whether you're inside <svg> or not.

> In the future when SVG evolves and new elements are added, how will parsers
> know that the elements are from SVG as opposed from HTML or just
> gibberish?

I believe everything inside <svg> is placed in the SVG namespace, but
someone like Henri can probably address this question.

> If there is HTML content embedded in an SVG block, how does
> the system know that?

Presumably by looking for a <foreignObject> around it.

> I assume the answer is "the parser deals with
> it", but doesn't this seem needlessly brittle to anyone else?

Needlessly in what sense?  If you want to avoid a namespacing setup,
this is just life...  It's not great, but neither are namespaces.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the list archives cover all this in
great detail.