Re: Empty span/div tags in RDFa pages

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:45:39 +0100
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 15:11 +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> I don't think this is a "fix", in that RFC 2854 never said you can
>> deliver XHTML as text/html and expect it to be treated as XHTML.
>
> Nor does RFC 2854 place any particular limits on how documents served as
> text/html may be treated. Parsing some such documents with an XML parser
> is not forbidden.

Again, <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2854#section-2>:

    Published specification:
       The text/html media type is now defined by W3C Recommendations;
       the latest published version is [HTML401].  In addition, [XHTML1]
       defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
       4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html.

Of course a recipient can do whatever it wants. But by serving the
content with

the sender indicates that the content should be treated as text/html
(remember: authoritative metadata), and the mime type registration for
text/html says that the HTML 4.01 spec applies.

If the recipient does something else it essentially does content type
sniffing.

BR, Julian