Re: URIs in @rel and @property...

Hi Ivan/Niklas,

2009/11/16 Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>:
> Hi Niklas,
>
> Niklas Lindström wrote:
>>>
>>> So is there an elephant?:-)
>>
>> I haven't followed this discussion to closely, so I want to check if
>> this the following is considered:
>>
>> This usage will "muddle the waters" in cases when the relative URI:s
>> contain colon, and there is a prefix with the same name as the leading
>> part before that, right? Concrete (but contrieved) example:
>>
>> Given:
>>     - base URI: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/>
>>     - prefix Talk: <http://example.org/schema/talk#>
>>
>> When:
>>     @resource="Talk:Linked_Data"
>>
>> Then:
>>     - URI becomes < http://example.org/schema/talk#Linked_Data>,
>> instead of <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Linked_Data>, which is
>> might be expected?
>>

> Hm. You may found the elephant:-)
>
> Yes, in this case one would indeed get the example.org URI.
>
> The question is: is this use case so strong as to nullify the advantages
> of using CURIE-s in @about? Indeed, wikipedia uses such URI-s with ':'
> quite a lot but the user can of course put full URI-s into the value of
> @about...
>
> Thanks!

Whoah...slow down. :)

"Talk:Linked_Data" is not a relative path!

Forget prefixes, CURIEs, whatever...even if those things did not
exist, how would a URI processor know whether "Talk:" is a scheme or
just part of a relative path?

RFC 3986 [1] addresses this in the following way:

  A path segment that contains a colon character (e.g., "this:that")
cannot be used as the
  first segment of a relative-path reference, as it would be mistaken
for a scheme name.
  Such a segment must be preceded by a dot-segment (e.g.,
"./this:that") to make a
  relative-path reference.

So, if people are using relative paths that contain colons, in the
wild, then there's a problem, and that problem is completely
independent of RDFa.

[1] <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt>

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane