W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org > November 2009

Re: Telecon Agenda - November 12, 2009, 1600 UTC

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:00:39 +0000
Message-ID: <640dd5060911120800x4c996563nee97a761a1f54acc@mail.gmail.com>
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Hi Shane,

Fair point.

And on re-reading the thread from back in July, I see that Ivan makes
the same observation, which immediately doubles the number of people
holding your view. :)

Regards,

Mark

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
> Quick follow up.  With regard to Mark's proposal at [1]:
>
> PROPOSAL
>
> So to bring everything together, the proposal is:
>
>  (a) RDFa should add support for URIs in attributes that currently only
>      support CURIEs;
>
>  (b) authors should be encouraged to use safe-CURIEs in those
>      attributes;
>
>  (c) but since ordinary CURIEs may still be used, we should differentiate
>      by saying that anything appearing before a colon, that is not a
>      mapped prefix, is a protocol.
>
> I disagree with (b).  I don't think there is any need for this.  If the
> processing rules are handling this, then in these contexts there is no need
> to use a safe curie.  On the other hand, the TAG will have a cow if we
> permit URIs and CURIEs in the same place.  That was their principle
> objection to the CURIE spec.  How do we overcome that hurdle?
>
> [1]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Jul/0062.html
>
>
> Shane McCarron wrote:
>
> FWIW, I think I agree with Mark on this one.  It is low hanging fruit.
>
> Note that no matter what, changes like these are things that relate to a
> future version of RDFa, not to the current version.
>
> Mark Birbeck wrote:
>
> Hi Manu,
>
> I'm afraid I still disagree with the priorities here, for the reasons
> explained at [1] and [2].
>
> Whilst some kind of vocabulary extension is of course important, as
> far as I know the only substantial criticism that has been levelled at
> RDFa is its requirement to use CURIEs/prefix mappings, and so I think
> we should really put some effort into addressing that.
>
> Fixing this would be low-hanging fruit, for us.
>
> It simply requires us to agree on how we allow full URIs in @rel,
> @rev, @property, @typeof and @datatype.
>
> (I had a full proposal at [3], which seemed to be supported on the
> list. Toby had an issue with how my proposal related to  existing eRDF
> content, using the example of "dc:creator" -- but this might be
> incorrect, because as far as I can see, eRDF uses dots not colons.)
>
> I realise that Hixie would prefer to have no prefix mappings at all in
> RDFa, but I think that horse has bolted.
>
> But I do think that providing support for full URIs, so that authors
> at least have the choice of whether to use prefixes or not, would go a
> long way towards answering his criticism.
>
> And it's not as if the feature isn't useful, either; when using small
> 'packets' of RDFa, such as on one or two elements, it's often more
> convenient to provide the complete URI, and not bother at all with
> prefix mappings.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>
> [1]
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Oct/0045.html>
> [2]
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Oct/0050.html>
> [3]
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009Jul/0062.html>
>
> --
> Mark Birbeck, webBackplane
>
> mark.birbeck@webBackplane.com
>
> http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck
>
> webBackplane is a trading name of Backplane Ltd. (company number
> 05972288, registered office: 2nd Floor, 69/85 Tabernacle Street,
> London, EC2A 4RR)
>
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
> wrote:
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> We have a telecon in 1.5 hours, let's try to get a game plan together on
>  implementing an experimental @vocab extension for extending the list of
> reserved words.
>
> ==========
> Thursday, November 5th 2009
> 1500 UTC, W3C Zakim bridge
> tel:+1.617.761.6200 conference code RDFA
> irc://irc.w3.org:6665/#rdfa
> Duration: 60 minutes
> Scribe: Zakim, pick a victim
> ==========
>
> Agenda:
>
> 1) Action Items
> http://www.w3.org/2009/11/05-rdfa-minutes.html#ActionSummary
>
> 2) RDFa WG charter updates (short - 10 minutes)
>
> 3) @vocab discussion
>
> -- manu
>
> --
> Manu Sporny (skype: msporny, twitter: manusporny)
> President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
> blog: Establishing an Open Digital Media Commerce Standard
> http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2009/09/28/a-digital-content-commerce-standard/
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Shane P. McCarron                          Phone: +1 763 786-8160 x120
> Managing Director                            Fax: +1 763 786-8180
> ApTest Minnesota                            Inet: shane@aptest.com
>
>
>
> --
> Shane P. McCarron                          Phone: +1 763 786-8160 x120
> Managing Director                            Fax: +1 763 786-8180
> ApTest Minnesota                            Inet: shane@aptest.com
>
>
Received on Thursday, 12 November 2009 16:01:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:50:33 UTC