Re: embed RDFa --> embed coolness into Yahoo search results

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > What's unfortunate however is that Yahoo seems to be confused about URIs and
> > CURIEs in @rel. As predicted. See: [...]
>
> I have to take this back. Apparently somebody constructed this example
> to show the ambiguity that *may* occur because of the @rel syntax change
> (yes .-); it has nothing to do with the Yahoo announcement.

Your original point still stands, though. Yahoo!'s implementation is
incredibly buggy. For example it treats the prefix values as meaningful,
it ignores the namespace of the elements on which the RDFa attributes are
placed, it treats equivalent RDFa statements as different, etc.

Some tests that can be passed to Yahoo!'s testing page:

   http://hixie.ch/www/tests/adhoc/rdfa

(Note that the second test somehow breaks their system so much that the
button for showing the RDF doesn't even appear.)

More worryingly, though, I have to say that in trying to write these tests
I had an extremely confusing experience reading the RDFa specification.
When can one use href="" and when can one use resource=""? Does using
content="" with an absolute URL work also? What are the implications of
using property="" instead of rel=""? When does nesting matter and when
does it not matter? Does it matter whan URL the assertions are made about,
or will the SearchMonkey tool simply grab all the assertions from the
document regardless of what URL they are about? What parts are necessary
and what parts are optional?

The more I try to learn and use RDFa, the more confused I get.