Re: A proposal for establishing an RDFa IG

Shane McCarron wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
>>
>> Re: "we were told"... if you can tell me who told you that, I will
>> follow up... and resolve the issue.
> Sure.  It was Ralph, Steven, Ben, and me.  We all agree that the current
> task force cannot produce rec-track documents that involve HTML because
> we are not chartered to work on HTML.  YOUR committee can certainly
> produce such documents.  Thanks for inviting us to work with your group
> and directly edit your spec.  I am sure some of us will take you up on
> that as time permits.

OK I think we are in sync.  I believe that "we were told and believed
that we could not produce such a document under the auspices of the W3C"
to be a false statement (though to see it as such requires thinking
outside of the box), and I accept that "the existing task force is under
the SemWeb and XHTML 2 Activities" was "not chartered to do so" (a.k.a.
"the box")

>>> I would be pleased to release copyright on this document to the W3C
>>> once someone in management there tells me there is a home for it.
>>> Until then, ApTest is more than willing to support the activity.
>>> Basically, and I am sure you agree with me here Sam, I refuse to let
>>> bureaucracy get in the way of progress.
>>
>> Do I qualify as "in management"?
> See above, but no, you do not.  The W3C Director and the Advisory
> Committee approve charters, and the charter of the RDFa Task Force is
> within the remit of two other W3C groups whose charters have either
> expired or are expiring.  Those charters are not going to be expanded to
> encompass HTML4 nor HTML5 - at least, it seems pretty unlikely to me.  I
> imagine what *could* happen from a management perspective is that the
> HTML Working Group could also join the party - becoming an additional
> sponsor of the RDFa Task Force.  However, given the HTML Working Group's
> focus on producing a single specification rather than multiple specs
> that inter-relate, it seems to make more sense (to that group) that
> edits are just made directly on the monolithic HTML5 draft.  As I
> mentioned above, I am sure some of us will take you up on that offer.

I will pursue with Mike Smith, Phillipe Le Hegaret and Tim Berners-Lee
and will report back.

> Thanks again!

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  You are welcome to produce an update to a "monolithic" HTML5
draft, but are not constrained to do so.