Re: adding reification ids

On 9/7/09 18:28, publicayers@verizon.net wrote:
> I need to associate a triple with its reification id, then make triples
> on that id (for things like creator and created). The only way I can
> figure out to do this in RDFa is to make the triple in the usual way
> (with about/rel/resource), but also assert the reification triples on
> the subject, predicate, and object. I was planning on putting the
> reification triples in the head.

RDF's subject/predicate/object reification mechanism is pretty awkward
to use.

If you can find a way to associate creator/date/etc another way, I
recommend doing so. How about providing them as metadata about the
document that carries the RDF?

> It seems unfortunate to add 3 triples and their elements in the head for
> each triple in the body just to represent the mapping from reification
> id to a triple's subject, predicate, and object. The only other option I
> can come up with is to extend RDFa with a new attribute to give the
> reification id and have it expand into the 3 triples, something like

> Since there isn't any special handling for reification in RDFa, I was
> wondering if it was discussed and rejected, and if so, what were the
> problems. Also, is there any inclination to expand RDFa sometime in the
> future for convenient handling of reification?

I wouldn't encourage this. Instead, I'd rather see work on documenting
deployment patterns that use named graphs, and integration with SPARQL's
named graph mechanism.

cheers,

Dan