Re: A proposal for establishing an RDFa IG

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Ben Adida wrote:

> > Talking specifically about a "RDFa in HTML" draft, I don't see how
> > anybody can take a position that microdata is in scope for the HTML WG
> > and RDFa in HTML is not.
>
> Well, Henri did just that in his blog post, and Ian clearly thinks that.

It isn't microdata or RDFa that are in scope for HTML, it's the use cases
that they solve. I agree that there are use cases that both RDFa and
microdata address that are in scope for HTML, so insofar as that goes,
RDFa and microdata are both in scope for HTML. It's just that RDFa, as
designed, has problems that IMHO must be resolved before it would be
appropriate for HTML; microdata is basically RDFa with those problems
resolved. (Naturally, in designing microdata, other design features that
may have been the result of requirements for RDFa were not addressed; for
example, microdata doesn't support giving types to values. I designed
microdata based on the use cases that were provided, and nothing else.)

> Therein lies the problem. We want to work on RDFa and address real use
> cases without being dependent on Ian.

Which use cases does microdata not address? (There are lots of use cases
that were put forward as reasons for RDFa that RDFa doesn't address, e.g.
it doesn't hook into the drag-and-drop model to support dragging contact
information from an (X)HTML page to an OS address book program.)