Re: XHTML+RDFa and @lang

From: KANZAKI Masahide <mkanzaki@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:41:08 +0900
To: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

IMHO, xml:lang in RDFa can be quite dangerous. People sometimes put
this attribute in html element automatically, resulting in unintended
language tags such as:

<> dc:date "2009-01-30"@ja .
<#me> foaf:knows [ foaf:nick "danbri"@ja ] .

Of course, we can add datatype attribute to date string, and another
xml:lang="en" to nickname phrase, but I'm afraid it requires too much
effort for ordinary authors.

I'd rather recommend to use only lang attribute (no xml:lang) in *html
element*, unless the author clearly understand what kind of literal
values will be generated.

--
@prefix : <http://www.kanzaki.com/ns/sig#> . <> :from [:name
"KANZAKI Masahide"; :nick "masaka"; :email "mkanzaki@gmail.com"].