Re: Validator for HTML5+RDFa minus CURIEs

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:02:58 -0800
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Dan Brickley wrote:

> And essential for copy/paste integrity, as well as bloggability, use in
> wikis, etc.

Yes.

Quick interjection here as I've just returned from vacation: why are we
having this discussion again? We've gone through these issues of
stream-able parsing, copy/pastability and such a number of times before.

It's important to point out that, early in the days of RDFa, we tried to
find a way to hack a URLorCURIE approach, but we hit the same wall that
folks have hit for a while regarding the URI vs. QName issue (even
though CURIEs are not QNames, they have similar syntax.) Yes, you can
come up with some special-case rules, but they are ugly and backwards
incompatible with browsers.

I suspect we're about to revisit these same issues again, without
evidence to justify this work except issues of personal preference.