Re: Validation issue with the xsi namespace

On Saturday 24 January 2009 23:51:47 Toby A Inkster wrote:
> In general XML terms, a namespace plus local name do not "expand" to
> anything - they are simply a pair. The idea of expanding them is RDF-
> specific. This is why there are a number of namespace URIs that do
> not end in a hash or slash - they are like that because they were
> never intended to be used as RDF vocabularies. e.g. the XHTML
> namespace is "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml".

Thanks, I just hadn't thought of that, i.e. that (namespace,localname) is just
a pair.

> One thing I've noticed in the hash vs slash discussion is that '='
> and '?' are rarely talked about as suitable final characters for
> namespace URIs. They seem ideal to me. e.g.
>
> 	xmlns:ex1="http://example.com/myterms?term="
> 	xmlns:ex2="http://example.net/some-vocab?"

Indeed.  No idea.  Maybe the reason for not using such namespace URIs is that
their semantics is less well defined than what Shane recapitulated for / and
#.  IIRC, it's basically up to the web server application how to interpret
such URLs.

Cheers,

Christoph