Re: Validation issue with the xsi namespace

On Thursday 22 January 2009 12:59:08 Shane McCarron wrote:
> It basically has to do with dereferencing the resulting URI when you use
> a QName or CURIE (e.g., xsi:lala should dereference to
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance#lala - basically it has to do
> with how the resource at the end of the namespace URI is constructed,
> and how its components are accessed.  If the resource masquerades as a
> folder, then http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance/lala will
> magically return the description for lala.  If it masquerades as a
> document, then http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance#lala will
> return the complete resource and there will be a ID within that resource
> that corresponds to lala.

Thanks, but doesn't this explanation just cover the "hash vs. slash" issue?
What I was actually wondering about was the case when a namespace URI neither
ends with hash nor slash.  Suppose
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance", what would xsi:lala
expand to?  Nothing reasonable, I suppose, so why do such namespace URIs
exist?

Cheers,

Christoph