Re: Validation issue with the xsi namespace

From: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:51:00 +0100
To: Stephane Corlosquet <stephane.corlosquet@deri.org>
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org
Hi Stéphane,

On Thursday 22 January 2009 12:42:07 Stephane Corlosquet wrote:
> Line 3, Column 55: value of fixed attribute "xmlns:xsi" not equal to
> default.
>   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance#"
>
> while xmlns:xsd does not produce such an error.
>
> Removing the # in the end of the xsi prefix fixes the error, but I
> wonder if it's correct to do so to see prefixes finishing by / or #.

Sure, prefixes of XML element namespaces usually do not end with / nor #.  The
xsi namespace is not such a namespace, but the whole context of XML Schema is
rather related to XML elements than to semantic web vocabularies, and that's
why I assume they adopted that convention.

On the other hand I've never understood _why_ these different conventions
exist.  Hash vs. slash for ontologies has been discussed, but I still have not
seen a survey and discussion of "hash/slash vs. nothing". -- Does anybody know
more?

Cheers,

Christoph