Re: Validator for HTML5+RDFa minus CURIEs

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:42:44 -0000 (UTC)
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "Manu Sporny" <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, "RDFa" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

> Another problem with having to define prefixes upfront is that it makes
> streaming production of output really hard -- if you don't know ahead of
> time which namespaces you'll need you will be forced to include *all* of
> them (whatever "all" means here) in the header.

That is true. It's not a problem I've had with RDFa per se, but in
programmatically producing Atom, where the feed's <updated> date is
required to come before the <entry> elements are listed. But the feed
<updated> date is calculated by taking the most recent of the entry
<updated> dates, so after writing the entries, I need to go *back* and fix
the feed <updated> date.

I wouldn't suggest creating a situation where similar annoyances will
occur with RDFa. This is a strong argument against requiring CURIE
prefixes to be declared in the <head> - the ability to declare them close
to where they are used is very useful.

-Toby