Re: [whatwg] Alternative method of declaring prefixes in RDFa (was Re: RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector)

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:31:32 -0500

I have forwarded this to the RDFa developer mailing list, Eduard... just
so that it's noted in a record somewhere public.

Eduard Pascual wrote:
> Just some opinions:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> Speaking as an RDFa Task Force member - we're currently looking at an
>> alternative prefix binding mechanism, so that this:
>>
>> xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
>>
>> could also be declared like this in non-XML family languages:
>>
>> prefix="foaf=http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
>>
> Could <meta name="prefix" content="foaf=http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">
> do the job? I think adding a new @name value for meta would involve
> less work than adding an entire new attribute.

This was discussed as a possibility at one point, I don't quite remember
what the argument was against it. Perhaps somebody else on the list can
remember?

> In either case, may I suggest an alternative syntax, like
> "foaf:http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"? That's a quite subjective opinion,
> but the "=" inside attribute values seem too wrong to me, and they
> quite ruin the readability.

We had been contemplating separators other than '=', ':' did come up in
the conversation as a possibility.

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny