Is about="[talk:]" a valid CURIE? (was: Re: Firefox RDFa Debugger (Fuzzbot 0.8.4 for Windows/Linux/Mac OS X))

Ivan Herman wrote:
> a small thing: I am not 100% sure who has the bug, distiller or librdfa,
> but I would vote for the former :-)

You seem to have more faith in my software than I do :).

> Look at http://www.w3.org/2009/Talks/0115-Amsterdam-IH/Overview.html,
> and you will discrepancies between the two. The difference comes from
> the interpretation of that @about=[talk:] value. I interpret this as a
> reference being the empty string, ie, the URI becoming the value
> assigned to 'talk' via a @prefix. You seem to interpret this is fully
> empty, ie, the URI of the file itself...

I've logged it as a bug against librdfa, as we do need clarification and
a test case:

http://rdfa.digitalbazaar.com/librdfa/trac/ticket/20

I believe that Mark's and Shane's intention for CURIEs was to make it a
simple string replacement algorithm (guys, please correct me if I'm
wrong)... which would mean that you have a valid point. However, the
RDFa REC currently states that a CURIE is this:

curie :=   [ [ prefix ] ':' ] reference

Which, I believe, means that this:

about="[talk:]"

is invalid, even if talk is specified as a valid prefix earlier in the
document.

When implementing librdfa, I tried to follow the specification quite
literally. I think the correct behavior is to interpret about="[talk:]"
as about="". Thoughts?

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.

blog: Fibers are the Future: Scaling Past 100K Concurrent Requests
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2008/10/21/scaling-webservices-part-2