Re: @rel syntax in RDFa (relevant to ISSUE-60 discussion), was: Using XMLNS in link/@rel

Ben Adida wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Ben Adida wrote:
>>> The registry doesn't/cannot change prior specs which specify that
>>> @profile affects the value of @rel.
>> Again: @profile does not help with disambiguation when multiple profiles
>> are declared. It just does not work, so pretending it does isn't helpful.
>
> Assuming this is true, that disambiguation is not possible, what does it
> matter? The point is that @profile *must* be considered by your parser
> looking at @rel, so you can't just compare @rel values. Even if @profile
> is imperfect, it's part of the spec and you can't ignore it.

It would be useful to not only consider what @profile may have been
intended to do years ago, but what it actually *can* do in practice.
(That would also be useful with respect to the discussion in the HTML 5 WG.)

If I follow your argument, no new relation names can be used in HTML 4,
except by using a profile. We have evidence that this is not true. For
instance, consider rel="nofollow".

Best regards, Julian