Re: [Fwd: Using XMLNS in link/@rel]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:10:03 +0100
To: Phil Archer <phil@philarcher.org>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, www-tag@w3.org, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>
Phil Archer wrote:
> I understand the problem here. It would be nice to be able to use the
> same @rel syntax in both HTTP Link:, HTML 4 and XHTML Link elements. But

...and HTML 5 link elements...

> you can't:  HTTP and HTML 4 have no way to define a namespace. XHTML
> does, of course, and that's where the RDFa comes in. So I wonder whether
> this is really 'all that bad?'

But link relations do not need namespaces, they need URIs. That's why
they are CURIEs in RDFa, right?

Is it in RDFa? (Only when mapping the prefix "http" to "http:", right?)

> Link: can't support Curies - but it doesn't have to. RDFa isn't going to
> change, but it doesn't have to either. HTML doesn't support namespaces
> and so shouldn't be using Curies anyway. If people do, it may lead to
> unexpected results. C'est la guerre mes amis.
>
> Or am I missing the elephant in the room here? (not unknown I know...)

If there would always be a clear separation between HTML (4/5) and
XHTML, that would be correct.

However, it's common practice to serve XHTML as text/html. And then
there's also HTML 5 served as application/xhtml+xml, with no way to
distinguish that fron XHTML+RDFa.

BR, Julian