Re: FYI: dear adobe here's an idea for you

On 24/2/09 17:15, Ben Adida wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>> http://www.webteacher.ws/2009/02/08/dear-adobe-heres-an-idea-for-you/
>
> That would be fantastic :)

(the suggestion is for XHTML/RDFa dreamweaver templates, which is a
great idea)

>> Do you think the RDFa community could in some way lend some support to
>> this cause?
>
> I'm happy to help provide advice, guidance, etc.. Adobe is next door to
> me, so if we've got the right contacts there, I'm happy to offer going
> over there to present an introduction to RDFa.

I'd suggest an RDFa representation of their XMP metadata format is more
likely to engage attention at Adobe than generic RDF/DC. I'm copying
Larry Masinter, who I spoke to briefly at W3C's last Tech Plenary about
this.  More about XMP here: http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/ and
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp/

Larry, have you looked at RDFa at all? Could you offer some pointers to
help us sketch out some examples of RDF expressed in XHTML+RDFa?

Are http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp/pdfs/XMPSpecificationPart1.pdf and
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp/pdfs/XMPSpecificationPart2.pdf the best
places to start? I remember XMP used to use a lot of the rdf:Bag,
rdf:Seq, rdf:Alt constructs. So one thing to investigate here would be
the extent to which data from other XMP-carrying environments (eg.
inside PDFs, TIFFs) can be losslessly represented in human-facing RDFa.
And on whether XMP-friendly profiles of RDFa usage (eg. some templates -
such as might be suggested for Dreamweaver) can be produced.

Here is an example from XMPSecificationPart2.pdf
(one might imagine this in RDFa with some CSS styling):

"<xmp:Title>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">XMP - Extensible Metadata Platform</rdf:li>
<rdf:li xml:lang="en-us">XMP - Extensible Metadata Platform</rdf:li>
<rdf:li xml:lang="fr-fr">XMP - Une Platforme Extensible pour les
Métadonnées</rdf:li>
<rdf:li xml:lang="it-it">XMP - Piattaforma Estendibile di Metadata</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</xmp:Title> "

Larry - looking at the spec, a lot of the examples are exercises in
exploring corner-cases for parsing. Can you point us to any kind of
repository of real world XMP examples?

cheers,

Dan