RDFa Use Cases (was: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009)

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> I have formatted the above use case into a template that I believe is
>> acceptable to WHATWG/HTML5:
>>
>> http://rdfa.info/wiki/rdfa-use-cases#Using_a_Data_Model_to_Generate_User_Interfaces
>
> That's much more useful, yes.

Good, I've updated the template taking your suggestions into consideration:

http://rdfa.info/wiki/rdfa-use-cases#Using_a_Data_Model_to_Generate_User_Interfaces

> I wouldn't worry too much about the various solutions in each case -- a
> list of solutions can never be complete, and people will never agree on
> what consists a pro and a con.

Agreed. The Pro/Cons have been stripped out as they took the longest to
author in a way that wasn't inflammatory to all of the communities
involved, RDFa included. However, the list of potential solutions and
issues involved have been moved to a separate page:

http://rdfa.info/wiki/non-rdfa-open-data-solutions

It's a healthy exercise to document how we might solve these problems if
RDFa did not exist. Some in the HTML5 community seemed to allude to the
notion that not enough thought was put into alternatives to RDFa. I
think it's necessary to document that there was a great deal of thought
put into alternatives, and that those alternatives helped shape RDFa
into what it is today. We may eventually reference the non-RDFa
solutions from the use cases, if that would be helpful?

> What would be useful, though, is an example
> of how RDFa is expected to solve the problem, e.g. with sample markup
> showing how the relevant data might be encoded

Done.

> and code snippets showing how the data would then be processed;

I'm assuming pseudo-code/pseudo-process or a pointer to the project
would be good enough for most of these cases?

> and a discussion of ways to deal
> with the likely problems (e.g., for this particular use case:

These are all similar problems relevant to most use cases dealing with
data sharing on the web. These challenges have been broken out into a
separate document and could be pointed to from the RDFa Use Cases
Document (note that the answers haven't been filled out yet):

http://rdfa.info/wiki/common-arguments-against-rdfa

http://rdfa.info/wiki/Common-arguments-against-rdfa#How_does_RDFa_deal_with_authors_screwing_up_and_encoding_bad_data.3F

http://rdfa.info/wiki/Common-arguments-against-rdfa#How_does_RDFa_deal_with_apathy_from_sites_that_you_want_to_scrape_data_from.3F

http://rdfa.info/wiki/Common-arguments-against-rdfa#How_does_RDFa_deal_with_deal_with_spammers_or_other_malicious_authors_encoding_misleading_data.3F

http://rdfa.info/wiki/Common-arguments-against-rdfa#How_does_RDFa_track_per-developer_usage_of_their_data.3F

> how to enable monetization for producers who are intentionally
> obfuscating the data today

http://rdfa.info/wiki/Common-arguments-against-rdfa#How_does_RDFa_enable_monetization_for_producers_who_are_intentionally_obfuscating_the_data_today.3F

Please review the updated template and let us know if the changes are
acceptable:

http://rdfa.info/wiki/rdfa-use-cases#Using_a_Data_Model_to_Generate_User_Interfaces

-- manu

--