Re: RDFa and Web Directions North 2009

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:15:42 -0500
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
CC: 'Julian Reschke' <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 'Ian Hickson' <ian@hixie.ch>, 'Kjetil Kjernsmo' <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>, 'Karl Dubost' <karl@la-grange.net>, public-rdfa@w3.org, 'RDFa mailing list' <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, 'Sam Ruby' <rubys@intertwingly.net>, 'Dan Brickley' <danbri@danbri.org>, 'Michael Bolger' <michael@michaelbolger.net>, 'Tim Berners-Lee' <timbl@w3.org>, 'Dan Connolly' <connolly@w3.org>
Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Julian Reschke:
>
>> The implementation cost of these attributes is zero: recipients are not
>> required to do anything with them.
>>
>> Documenting them (in tutorials, books...) is not free, but then, if you
>> aren't interested in them, why document them?
>>

> Any feature of any computer system has potential costs in terms of confusion, training etc. Even things you don't use, and can ignore. There is a cost to deciding to ignore something.

But there is no cost when you don't know about the existence of the
thing that can be ignored.

Since the item in question (above) works with the current editions of
HTML (pre. HTML5), I think you analogy is somewhat inversed.

Likewise, what's the cost of retraining people to re. the item dropped
between HTML releases?

--

Regards,

President & CEO