Re: Possible test case candidate?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:30:27 +0100
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
CC: W3C RDFa task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Hey Toby

On 2009-12-11 17:43, Toby Inkster wrote:
> What triple should this generate?

> 	     about="[blank:foobar]"
> 	     rel="next"
> 	     resource="[blank:foobaz]"
> 	     ></div>
>
> Here are a few candidates as N-Triples:
>
> # Just treat the CURIE prefix like any other, even though "_" is not
> # a registered URI scheme (and syntactically cannot be).
> <_:foobar>
>   <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#next> <_:foobaz> .

This actually makes sense; CURIE does not talk about URI schemes, only
about concatenation of strings. After all, I can very well write

xmlns:bla="http://www.ex.org/something/"

and then use bla:else to get a valid URI (I actually use that scheme
quite a lot...).

(by the way: this is what my distiller does at the moment)

> # This is what my parser currently does because it passes resources
> # about as plain strings, so the fact that they're not really bnodes
> # gets lost.
> _:foobar
>   <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#next> _:foobaz .

Which would also make sense and is not necessarily in contradiction with
the previous. We could decide that URI-s of the form _:bla denote blank
nodes, regardless of whether they come from a CURIE or not. In other
words, we 'reserve' the thing-looking-like-a-URI-scheme _: to denote
blank nodes. This is not in the current RDFa doc, though.

Ivan

> # If "blank" is completely ignored as a CURIE prefix, then perhaps
> # @about and @resource are treated as relative URIs?
> <%5Bblank:foobar%5D>
>   <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#next> <%5Bblank:foobar%5D> .
>
> # Or maybe as references to the current document?
> <>
>   <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#next> <> .

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153