Re: Undeclared prefix in @datatype -- what happens?

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:43:29 +0100
Cc: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
To: Damian Steer <pldms@mac.com>
On 26 Aug 2009, at 20:17, Damian Steer wrote:
>> One of the more iconic RDFa-enabled pages on the Web is this one:
>> http://www.myspace.com/parishilton
>>
>> As has been pointed out before, it's slightly broken, because the
>> xsd: namespace is used in @datatype, but undeclared in the document.
>>
>> Now I wonder what a conformant RDFa parser should do when
>> confronted with an undeclared namespace in @datatype? Ignore the
>> triple? Ignore the @datatype? Assume the empty string as prefix
>> URI? Halt and catch fire?
>
> fwiw, my vote is for ignoring the triple. Producing a wonky literal
> is simply annoying. Halting doesn't seem to be in the spirit of RDFa.
>
> However in practice I'd assume the xml schema namespace and repair it.

I tend to agree with your vote and practice advice, but I would be
quite interested in knowing what the spec actually prescribes :-)

(Of course I could just read the spec, but I imagine that some kind
soul on this list who is already familiar with the spec can find out
the answer much faster than me ...)

Richard