Re: RDFa generalization - expressing Microformats

Shane McCarron wrote:
> I had considered this approach...  but I believe (and am happy to be
> corrected) that each microformat has its own XMDP document that
> describes it, and that a document is going to want to use more than one
> microformat at a time.  In such a case, I don't see how unprefixed
> CURIEs could be correctly mapped to the right vocabulary without some
> sort of registration / discovery mechanism.  Am I missing something here?

I believe that is correct, to an extent. It depends on how the
Microformats community implements this feature. The scenario Shane
outlines above would be the right way to do it - but is something that
the community might not go for...

In addition, we can't just say "any unprefixed CURIE maps to the
unprefixed value listed in @prefix" because we want the ability to pull
in 2 or more vocabularies from different communities that define
unprefixed reserved words. We want to support this:

prefix="http://microformats.org/vocab# http://vocabs-r-us.org/vocab#"

The example above defines two documents that both contain unprefixed
reserved values. We wouldn't know which prefix to use in this case. Even
if we only had one vocabulary, we shouldn't assume that any unprefixed
value maps to the vocabulary document specified in @prefix. The web
author could be using the field for a different purpose. We also state
that unknown CURIEs should not generate triples.

> As to starting the unprefixed item with '=' in the prefix attribute... I
> don't hate that.  I had considered that too.  It just seemed ugly and
> not really necessary.  Doesn't matter to me.

It's ugly and not necessary, it will also confuse web authors. We should
stay away from doing new or fancy Computer Science syntax in (X)HTML
attribute values unless absolutely necessary.

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.