Re: RDFa with multiple CURIEs as property..

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Hi Svante,
>
>> No longer in need, Dan Brickley was so kind to show me the feature has
>> merit.
>> Since often rdf vocabularies overlap in scope, and instances might have
>> multiple audiences.
>>
>> Therefore I will suggest the ODF TC to overtake the property.
>
> That's great.
>
> But I would reiterate that I believe you should adopt RDFa in its
> entirety, rather than looking for opportunities to fork the
> specification, leading to the possibility of confusing people.

May I suggest that 'fork' is needlessly emotive language here?

Creating and maintaining a full-featured human-friendly editor for all
of RDFa is a non-trival undertaking. Many many tools will allow people
to use some application, and will then expose some constrained chunks of
data using RDFa. For example, a social network site that keeps all its
info in some SQL database, or a desktop app that has its own on-disk
representation (XML or whatever). If any of these folk publish through
RDFa, this is a wonderful thing. And if OO/ODF do this, it's wonderful
thing too. We should be happy, regardless of the on-disk or backend data
representation.

However the hope here is that these office tools/specs can go further,
and make more 'native storage' use of RDFa, ideally in its entirety.
Whether that makes sense for the various stakeholders depends on a huge
network of factors. It is perfectly reasonable to choose to use a subset
of RDFa within some application context. The most important thing is
that exposed instance data be as easily interpreted as possible; either
via XHTML+RDFa or GRDDL/RDFa, for example.

You point out, and I agree, that subsets create difficulties for
developers, documentation, and interop. I hope to see RDFa in its full
form used in ODF and OpenOffice.org. But please if they choose
otherwise, let's not sling words like 'fork' around so casually. We're
amongst friends here, but little words like that carry a lot of baggage.

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/