Re: RDFa with multiple CURIEs as property..

Hi Mark,

Mark Birbeck wrote:
> Hi Svante,
>

>> thanks for the quick answer.
>>

> No problem.
>

>> Instinctively I would drop this feature from the ODF set, as I currently do
>> not see the use case (that's why I am here) and keeping it means more effort
>> in implementing.
>> We have a subset anyway, as some features as Chaining does not work as ODF
>> applications are not necessarily DOM applications.
>>

> But the documents are XML documents, no? Which means that some
> processor could parse them and extract the RDFa, using exactly the
> algorithm defined in the XHTML + RDFa spec.

We will offer GRDDL (not yet proposed by myself, but strongly suggested
by TimBL on the TPAC2008.
I will write an own XSLT file based on [2].

There are two reasons:

1)  we are using the XHTML namespace - which is possible from XHTML
modularization spec.

2) we got two stand-alone bookmark elements, which are capable of RDFa,
with the literal between both elements.

AFAIK not covered by the XSLT file [2].

>> Could you give me a few examples, where the subject and the object literal
>> are the same, but not the predicate?
>>
>> Always willing to learn ;-)
>>

> With all due respect :) we've just spent 4 or so years justifying the
> features in RDFa! I don't think we can be expected to now do it again,
> for each feature.

So what about the link? ;-)
> RDFa is what it is, now, since it became a Rec. So whilst I'm sure
> members of the taskforce would be more than happy to explain some
> feature or other in the context of a discussion about how best to use
> RDFa, it seems wrong to expect them to justify each feature as part of
> an argument about which features to cherry-pick for use in another
> language.
>
> In other words -- and most politely meant ;) -- if you would like to
> use RDFa in ODF, why not just get on and use it?

> As it happens, I believe one of the major flaws with ODF is that it
> has this 'pick and choose' mindset, when it comes to including other
> languages. It makes it very difficult for authors who are trying to
> learn a new technology, because not only are they faced with lots of
> new ideas, but they are also then forced to try to work out how the
> ODF-flavour differs from the real thing.
>
> This is already a real problem for anyone interested in XForms, for
> example; there are only a handful of tutorials about the ODF-specific
> version of XForms, whilst there are hundreds of tutorials about XForms
> more generally.
>
> I recently did a talk on XForms for the OpenDoc Society in Amsterdam,
> at PICNIC [1], and ironically, despite the fact that it was they that
> had invited me, was unable to include much at all in my talk, about
> the ODF take on XForms, because it differed so much from mainstream
> XForms.
> It would be a shame if the same mistake was repeated with ODF's version of RDFa.

We got a package of RDF files, we need RDFa to prevent data duplication
between the content and RDF graph.
If we provide multiple ways adequate ways to solve the same problem, the
solution looses its simplicity making it hard to implement.

But with XForms I am completly on your side and not completely satisfied
with the current state.
I will give you the XForms contact offlist.

Thanks for your help, Mark.
Hope to meet you soon, again!
Svante

[2] http://www.w3.org/2008/07/rdfa-xslt

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Svante Schubert
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028