Re: lcsh.info RDFa SKOS and content negotiation - use of RDF-style # IDs in RDFa?

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:13:47 -0500
Cc: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, "Dan Brickley" <danbri@danbri.org>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Ed Summers" <ehs@pobox.com>
To: "Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>

On Oct 6, 2008, at 6:12 AM, Steven Pemberton wrote:

>> How does not giving the concept a name solve Dan's problem?
>
> The aim of a name is to uniquely identify something. As far as I am
> concerned, as long as I have a method of uniquely identifying
> something, I'm happy.

What would make me very happy would be for someone (perhaps yourself?)
to tell me what is meant by 'identify'. Take a concrete example:
suppose I have a name, told to me by someone, and to keep things
general lets suppose that this name is not a URI.  Now take two cases.
In the first, this name is simply a character string. In the second,
it also identifies something, in your sense of 'identifies'. What is
different about these two cases? What can I do, using the name, in the
second case that I cannot do in the first? And how does anything I can
do with the name relate to whatever it is that the name identifies?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Pat Hayes