ISSUE-175: Last Call Comment: SKOS namespace change question II

From: SWD Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:01:25 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org,public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

ISSUE-175: Last Call Comment: SKOS namespace change question II

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/175

Raised by: Sean Bechhofer
On product: SKOS

Raised by Jeremy Carroll in [1]:

    *  The URI of the SKOS namespace. The current draft introduces a new
namespace for the SKOS vocabulary. Comments have been made that this may cause
difficulty for existing SKOS implementations or vocabularies. As a result, the
choice of SKOS namespace should be considered "at risk of change".

Any implementators using a namespace URI in a WD have been warned of possible
change before Rec.
Conventionally this means that the terms in the namespace or their meaning might
change, and the namespace URI remains unchanged. So if I had been part of the WG
when the namespace URI changed, I would have been opposed, however that's water
under the bridge and the argument cuts both ways!

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Oct/0077.html