Re: ISSUE-103: substantive issue that requires opinion + discussion

Hi Ralph,

> At 10:33 AM 5/27/2008 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
>>If we were to start from scratch, it would've been nice to adopt
>>"curie:foo:bar" and that's probably what would've happened.
>
> naw.  If we were to start from scratch, we'd make XML accept
> '<' and '>' in attribute values and we'd define the URIREF type
> to require those, so we'd have
>
>  href="<http://www.w3.org/RDF/>" for a full URI
>
> and
>
>  href="w3:/RDF/" for an abbreviated URI

Right. :)

And also we should remember that one of the initial design goals was
to ensure that languages that currently use QNames can move smoothly
to CURIEs.

For example, XForms uses QNames to identify appearance values, like so:

  <xf:range ref="x" appearance="geo:map">
  </xf:range>

Future versions of XForms could move to CURIEs without invalidating
existing documents.

Mark Birbeck, webBackplane

mark.birbeck@webBackplane.com

http://webBackplane.com/mark-birbeck