Re: geo location tutorial cut

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:32:46 -0500
To: "Hausenblas, Michael" <michael.hausenblas@joanneum.at>
CC: "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Hausenblas, Michael wrote:
>> In the examples I point to the dbpedia entry for the Washington Monument as the definitive *subject* I am describing.  There is also a Washington Monument web page from the US Government.  Why is that not a more appropriate subject?
>>

> It is no about what is more appropriate ;) It is about 'about WHAT do I want to say something'.
>
> If you say: 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument>  comprises 13 images' is completely different compared to 'http://dbpedia.org/page/Washington_Monument <http://dbpedia.org/page/Washington_Monument>  comprises sandstone'.
>
> In the first case you describe a property of an HTML page (an information resource) in the second case you talk about an obelisk, a real-world entity (a non-information resource).

Okay - I think I understand the distinction.  And to some people that
distinction might even be meaningful.  But what about joe-myspacer?  All
he wants to do is say joe knows some_band.  I am certain joe is going to
say:

    myspace:joe foaf:knows myspace:some_band .

is that wrong?  I dont think it is.  It is misleading, since what he is
really saying litereally is "joe's myspace page knows some_band's
myspace page".  But to the great unwashed - our target audience - is
that distinction even meaningful?  Heck, some of those people might
think their myspace page *is* their identity!  But if it is meaningful,
how can we help our audience to appreciate the distinction?  And more
importantly, how can we help our audience to use the *correct* subjects
and objects?