Re: RDFa Primer comment

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:58:17 +0900
Cc: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>, Carlos Tejo Alonso <carlos.tejo@fundacionctic.org>, "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

Le 17 juil. 2008 à 23:44, Shane McCarron a écrit :
> What does that mean in the real world?  Most people who are
> developing real content (as opposed to some random blog somewhere)
> are concerned that content be "valid".

Then there is a minority or people producing real content.  Most of
the content on the web is not valid.

> Valid content is content that "validates" using a validation tool
> such as the ones built into popular commercial editing tools or web-
> based ones such as http://validator.3.org

note that while checking many things, validator.w3.org, doesn't check
everything which is proposed in a specification.

> Once you have valid content, you probably want that content to go to
> every user agent out there.  And that's fine.  Even though user
> agents don't explicitly "speak" this new markup language, they are
> perfectly happy to process it.

The main user agent,, IE, in its released version doesn't support
application/xhtml+xml. Before serving XHTML as text/html, they should
read "How is the treatment of application/xhtml+xml documents
different from the treatment of text/html documents?"[1] so they can
make a fully informed choice.

[1]: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html#xhtmldiff

> The "tag soup" days of the 90s are going the way of the Dodo - and
> that's a very good thing.

That is not true. Asserting it doesn't make it true either.  As much
as I appreciate the effort and that I love RDFa and XHTML, asserting
things which are not facts, deserve RDFa community, unfortunately. :/

/me who serves his pages as XHTML, and loves Semantic Web technologies.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/