Re: extra comments on test cases

Hi Manu,

On 12/02/2008, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> Ivan Herman wrote:
> > Mark Birbeck wrote:
> >> Why not? :) You are saying that there is an open issue, when there
> >> isn't. With whom else should I have a discourse? :)
> >
> > With Ben, who has not agreed yet with the test case, and not with me who
> > submitted a test case that is in line with what you argue for!
>
> To be fair, Mark - my parser wouldn't generate any triples for Unit Test
> #88 because Section 7 (CURIE Syntax Definition) states:

But the question of empty reference values (discussed below) is a long
way away from saying that a different unique bnode is generated for
each occurrence of "[_:]".

> """
> A CURIE is comprised of two components, a prefix and a reference. The
> prefix is separated from the reference by a colon (:). It is possible to
> omit the prefix, and make use of the default prefix. It is also possible
> to omit both the prefix and the colon, leaving just a reference.
> """
>
> It doesn't say that "It is also possible to omit the reference, leaving
> just the prefix and the colon". "_:" is an invalid CURIE as far as the
> spec is concerned.

The spec is correct, and it is not possible to omit the reference.
However, since a reference is a URI, and it is valid to have a
relative URI that is an empty string, then in effect you can have a
blank right-hand side of the colon:

  a:b -> mapping for 'a' + "b"

  a: -> mapping for 'a' + ""

I did explain this on the list before--I think in response to
Ivan--and I agreed that the whole thing needs drawing out more, since
this seems to be catching people out.

(I would say in passing that you might want to check your relative
path resolution algorithms, since this should 'just work'. Which is
not to say I won't explain it better in the spec, just that the
correct triples should just fall out.)

  Mark Birbeck

  mark.birbeck@x-port.net | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232
  http://www.x-port.net | http://internet-apps.blogspot.com

  x-port.net Ltd. is registered in England and Wales, number 03730711
  The registered office is at:

    2nd Floor
    Titchfield House
    69-85 Tabernacle Street