Re: [Fwd: Trying to work out the problems solved by RDFa]

Dan Brickley wrote:

> Ian Hickson (HTML5 lead) is revisiting the RDFa thread. It would be good
> to have helpful response for him. Are there Wiki pages that answer or
> partially answer this thread?

Dan,

Happy New Year!

Yes, I've just read his post at WHATWG. We've answered a number of these
questions already, but Ian has a very particular idea of what an answer
should look like, and apparently our answers don't fit the expectation
(my favorite below is how he claims that SearchMonkey is *still* not a
use case for RDFa.) And so round and round we go again.

I don't believe Ian's email is an actual request for information.
Rather, it is an attempt to bury the topic under a flurry of questions
that few will have the stamina to follow. There is no desire to
understand RDFa, only a desire to find any and all flaws.

I don't see myself spending much time trying to convince him anymore.
RDFa is being adopted. New user interfaces are being developed. Interest
is mounting in general.

Meanwhile, HTML5 isn't slated to be finished until 2022, and RDFa, with
its attribute-centric approach, won't break existing HTML.

To borrow Ian's approach for a second: what problem are we trying to
solve here by convincing him, especially in light of how unlikely that is?

-Ben