Re: quick ping - ISSUE-104

On Aug 30, 2008, at 6:05 PM, Shane McCarron wrote:

>   The lexical space of anyURI is the complete collection of URIs as
> defined in RFC 3986 (previously 2396 / 2732) [1].
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xmlschema11-2-20080620/#anyURI

You can't support your assertion using the document you cite!  It says
quite clearly that the lexical and value spaces are arbitrary strings,
and that this mapping is the identity mapping:

	The ·lexical space· of anyURI is the set of possibly empty finite-
length character sequences.
	The ·lexical mapping· for anyURI is the identity mapping.

Even if it did support what you are saying, this is just a working
draft, and I don't think you can cite it in your document.

I'm not saying this is an easy rhetorical problem to fix - I'm just
saying that it is consequential, and your obligation to those who will
use your document in the future is to be careful and to dispel the
smoke. You've disagreed with me repeatedly on both points, which
leaves me uncertain as to how to proceed.

You need to live up to the rhetorical standard set by the document you
cite [1]. Put the following, normatively, in Appendix A of the CURIE
document:

	The lexical space of CURIE is [fill in the blank, with citations and/
or internal references as needed].

	The lexical mapping for CURIE is ...

	The lexical space of URIorSafeCURIE is ...

	The lexical mapping for URIorSafeCURIE is ...

Otherwise, when five years from now someone tries to figure out how to
add CURIEs to SPARQL or OWL or RDF/XML or some other beast, they
will ... shall I just say, be less than happy.

Jonathan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xmlschema11-2-20080620/#anyURI