ISSUE-119: SkosImports

From: SWD Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:37:59 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-swd-wg@w3.org,public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

ISSUE-119: SkosImports

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/119

Raised by: Alistair Miles
On product: SKOS

>From http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2008Mar/0005.html ...

---

So consider an OWL ontology called ONT1, it contains the following
instances.

ex1:csA rdf:type skos:ConceptScheme

ex1:csB rdf:type skos:ConceptScheme

I also have an Ontology called ONT2 that conatins:

ex2:csC rdf:type skos:ConceptScheme

ex2:csC owl:imports ex1:csA

What should I expect to get imported into ONT2. I get two different
results depending on how I interpret skos:ConceptSchema (i.e as a
owl:Class or an owl:Ontology - If I am correct it is consistent in
SKOS to do both)

1) ONT2 imports only the concepts that are in concept scheme csA?
(which is what I want to happen)

2) ONT2 imports all of ONT1? (which is how it could be interpreted
because of the semantics of owl:imports)

If owl:imports is to be used with concept schemes then why not always
treat concept schemes to be the same as owl:Ontologies?  Was the
possibility of a skos:imports ever discussed by the working group?