Re: Fwd: Put <> around URIs. Re: draft CURIE draft feedback

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:10:16 -0500
To: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
CC: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, W3C RDFa task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Ben Adida wrote:

> Shane McCarron wrote:
>> This has nothing to do with href.
>
> Really? Did we indeed vote to disallow:

> ?
We did not change the datatype of @href nor of @src, so the above would
be illegal in XHTML+RDFa.  I assume that's the question you were asking.

> I think I would be okay if we had, but even so, having different
> syntax for URIs in @resource and @href would be quite confusing:

> Changing the way URIs are written in HTML... that's some pretty risky
> stuff. I'm *much* more in favor of thinking about better ways to
> represent CURIEs, even if they require a few more characters.
Hmm.... I would characterize it as "Defining the way non-CURIEs are
referenced in @about and @resource", not "Changing the way URIs are
written in HTML."  Tantamount to the same thing though.  But those are
new attributes, and we can populate them however we want.  I think what
this really comes down to is:  Do we prefer that people use CURIEs or
that people use URIs in these attributes?  I suspect the answer is
URIs.  In which case, changing the syntax of URIs makes little sense.
The only use case I know of for using a CURIE in @about is when
referencing a bnode.  If that's true, then...  Maybe it is simpler to
just say that in this edge case you need to use this weird syntax for
your CURIEs and be done with it.

> (To make things worse, I'm pretty sure you have to XML-escape the <
> and > characters inside attribute values if you want things to
> validate, and that gets quite ugly.)
Excellent point.   Brackets would work tho....  That was the other
syntax Tim proposed.