Re: Reviewing Last Call RDFa

From: Johannes Koch <koch@w3development.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:29:00 +0200
To: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, timbl@w3.org

Ben,

Ben Adida schrieb:
> Since we use the word "SHOULD" with respect to DTDs, we believe this
> leaves enough wiggle room for document authors to stop using DTDs once a
>  schema-based W3C-endorsed validator becomes available. We're all in
> strong favor of schema-based validation, but until validator.w3.org
> supports it (which depends on another REC-track document), we can't
> leave our users without a complete validation story.

one problem with DTD validation here is that somewhere you have to
declare prefix mappings used in CURIEs throughout the document. But the
XHTML DTD for RDFa doesn't support additional xmlns "attributes" without
changing ATTLIST declarations.

So a document starting with

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.0//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-1.dtd">
xmlns:dbp="http://dbpedia.org/property/" xml:lang="en">

will not be DTD valid.

--