Re: PROPOSAL: Extending @rel/@rev reserved value set

Shane,

It is now my turn to disagree with you pretty strongly :)

We're working with the realities of XHTML1.1 and current ad-hoc uses, as
well as the expectations of the RDF community, and the one area where we
have received significant pushback in the past is when we've generated
spurious triples. People do care about those.

Now, in the past, I have also been tempted to say "I don't care if
people care about spurious triples" and I've made arguments very close
to what you're saying. But we've recently received word from the Dublin
Core folks that they would be *really* upset if we started generating
bogus triples for

<a rel="DC.creator">

which is their current ad-hoc approach for DC markup, along with
@profile for GRDDL processing. Their approach is not wrong, and they
*do* care about RDF, so if RDFa parsers start spewing meaningless
triples, we're going to upset a major customer.

So, in fact, the one item that we all seemed to agree on last time was
that rel="DC.creator" should *not* generate a spurious triple in the
default RDFa parser. What we were discussing was the "how".

Regarding your point on special-casing RDFa in XHTML1.1... I think we've
already had to do that. No LINK and META in the body, for example. So
what's wrong with adding one extra constraint, which is no unprefixed
CURIEs? The CURIE spec can certainly define them and explain how to
process them, but the RDFa parser for XHTML1.1 can easily discard
non-prefixed values.

Regarding "declaring victory and moving on," I think that's exactly what
Mark's proposal allows us to do: declare victory by saying we don't
handle legacy but we leave it open to other components, *and* we point
out that these will likely generate triples in XHTML2.

I don't think this approach presents any issues for XHTML2.

-Ben