Re: ODF and semantic web

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> Moving on ... this is where I get confused. DTDs have no support for
> namespaces. And if I look at the XSD fragment in one of the links you
> posted (pasted below), there is no namespace declared.
The XSD implementation is in a document that (I hope ) I said was
obsolete.  I was just pointing out where the module implementation had
come from.  Please ignore that XSD implementation.   It is waaaay out of
date.

As to DTD support for namespaces, the XHTML M12N framework provides
limited but sufficient support for XML namespaces.

In XSD implementations, namespace binding is done very late - so the
module implementation you are looking at would not really exhibit it.
When the module is included in a host language, its contents are bound
into a namespace.  There is no example of this usage in the M12N draft -
I have an action item to craft one and include it in Appendix B.

Regardless, the XHTML M12N prose should be clear.  By definition, it is
permitted and expected that integration sets (like ODF) can incorporate
XHTML namespace attributes and retain the semantics of those attributes.
> So how is it given this that these attributes can be namespaced? I'm
> not understanding the technical details that would allow, for example,
> this to be valid:
>
>     <foo:node bar:about="http://ex.net">...</foo:node>
Well.... to get technical... in the DTD implementation there is a prefix
that gets declared either 1) in the markup language or 2) in the
internal subset in the document being validated.  So in the language
definition you would declare the DTD entity XHTML.prefix to be "bar"
and, somewhere superior to that foo:node element in your document
instance you would have <whatever
xmlns:bar="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> and then bar: would resolve
into the XHTML namespace and validate as expected.

> Also, I would think the attributes would allows xsd:anyURI.
No.  @about takes a URIorCURIE as an attribute value.  As does
@resource.  See the rdfa-syntax [1] document for a normative definition
of the types associated with each attribute.