Re: chaining-friendly rules for @instanceof

Hi Ben,

I've written and re-written the following post umpteen times, over
the last month or so. :) Finally, I've decided that the best way to
break this down is to explain why I disagree with your approach, and
then separately to spell out the extra couple of rules we need to
make your use-cases work. All attempts I've made to mix the two have
been even longer than this email...and as you can see below, this
shortened version is still pretty long!

So, here goes...

You wrote:
> Manu wanted me to express my proposed @instanceof rules in a way
> similar
> to what he recently posted [1], so that we could compare.
>
> The main driver for my rules is to make it easy for @instanceof to be
> used on chaining nodes, so that one can say "I know a person named
> 'Ralph'", or even the more complicated "I know a person who knows a
> person who knows a person named 'Bill'".

The statements:

   I know a person named 'Ralph'

and:

   I know a person who knows a person who knows a person named 'Bill'

were both always possible in earlier versions of RDFa, and in my
view, in a way that is simpler than in your proposal. So before I go
into that, some context.