Re: [Fwd: ISSUE-63: White-Space Canonicalization of XML Literals]

Niklas Lindström wrote:
> To be a little picky though, do we mean *plain literals* as in
> non-typed (but possibly with language), or also e.g. xsd:string
> literals? With plain literals I only see this as a feature (a very
> reasonable one). But I think "formally" any typed literal should be
> left untouched.. (or am I bringing back the entire problem?)

Very good point, but I think we *should* canonicalize all literals other
than XMLLiteral, because we want the following:

   2007-11-13

to work, in the sense that trailing and preceding spaces should be
removed, since that makes writing the HTML much more natural.

> Although I wonder if our problem isn't in fact that this only occurs
> in non-*x*html-aware implementations. So the actual issue is with IE
> only, since it doesn't properly handle the xhtml as xml. In practise,
> isn't original whitespace available in all of Firefox, Safari and
> Opera?

That's a very good point. I can be swayed on this, although I do think
it's harmless to canonicalize the XML Literal if it renders the same way.

-Ben