Re: ISSUE: @href anywhere/implementation

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:32:00 +0200
To: mark.birbeck@x-port.net, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

On the question of implementation, I just checked with the mainstream
browsers, and href on a span correctly is ignored. So the Joost case of

Horror</span>

doesn't do anything unexpected.

XHTML doesn't assign a meaning to href on span.
XHTML says attributes should be ignored if the UA doesn't know them.
Current browsers ignore it.

I don't think authors will expect href on a span to create a clickable
link, because they expect the <a> element to do that.

There are other elements with href on (link, base) that don't create a
clickable link.

Steven