Re: [RDFa] rdf:XMLLiteral (was RE: Missing issue on the list: identification of RDFa content)

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:59:34 -0700
To: "Ian Davis" <iand@internetalchemy.org>
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

Hi Ian,

> Ok, but I was expecting to be able to do:
>
> <title property="dc:title">RDF or Bust</title>
>
> which would give me flexibility to change things when Dublin Core
> deprecate that particular namespace in favour of the dcterms namespace.
>
> <h1 property="dc:title">RDF or Bust</title>
>
> works for me too, as would
>
> <h1 property="rss:title">RDF or Bust</title>
>
> which I might do if I were embedding a feed in my HTML. My point is that
> it doesn't seem possible to embed a plain literal in this way which
> potentially means excluding 99% of real-world RDF usage.

I don't follow this. What do you mean by 'real-world RDF usage' in
this context? dc:title doesn't have an associated type, as far as I'm
aware, so it means that there is nothing to say the following triple
is incorrect from the Dublin Core point of view:

  <http://example.com/doc> dc:title "RDF or Bust"^^rdf:XMLLiteral .

And given the Einstein example I've been using, it would actually need
to support this syntax anyway. In other words, just because most uses
of dc:title are using plain literals (we surmise) does not tell us
anything about how we should use dc:title in RDFa.

Regards,

Mark

--
  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer