Re: [RDFa] Test Suite - next steps

Wing C Yung wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote on 03/05/2007 08:03:12 PM:
>
>> Again, all of this infrastructure stuff is well and good, I guess, but
>> what I want most is a handful of fairly complete tests; preferably
>> tests based on examples that are being advertised widely, e.g.
>> those in the primer.
>>

> We are working towards assembling a full test suite. I took the tests
> assembled by Elias several months ago and reduced the redudancy of the
> tests. Then I added some additional tests to test parts of the syntax
> document [1] that weren't covered so that nearly every section has at least
> one test. I'm sure that some cases are missing, but it is a start. This is
> why Michael and I would appreciate some help in looking over the tests.

I'm happy to take a look at a few test cases.

Starting from
  http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/testcases/
I find a repository
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/

and the first input document in there is

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/testsuite/testcases/000002.htm

It bears a DTD but it's not valid. I still don't see any point in that.
I understand
some sort of module is in progress; is there an open issue on that?

At least the MIME type isn't text/plain any more. I get the impression that
some javascript/DOM things only work with application/xhtml+xml ; I think
that's worth tracking as an issue. This test case says that
at least some RDFa documents work with text/html; that seems worth
adding to the RDFa requirements document, for review by the HTML WG.

I'm still concerned that there's no follow-your-nose path from the
document to
the RDFa spec. Is there an open issue on that? The current issues list seems
to be http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/products/2 ; I don't see this
issue there. This seemed to be acknowledged as an open issue last August
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2006Aug/0025
Maybe it was addressed and I missed it. Even so, it seems worth adding
to the issues list post-hoc.

> I did not take tests from the Primer [2] or the examples section (section
> 6) of the syntax document because they tend to be longer and test multiple
> aspects of the syntax document. My original aim was to have each test test
> a single behavior specified by the syntax document. Is this not the correct
> way to assemble the test suite?

It's a reasonable way. It's not the only correct way.

I suggest that the examples that are being used to teach people about
RDFa should get
the sort of scrutiny that comes from including them in the test suite.
But as I said earlier,
there are many reasonable paths to good test coverage.
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/syntax/
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/primer/
>
> Wing

p.s. please excuse any odd formatting in this message. I'm new to
Thunderbird;
I'd like it to just send plain text, but I can't always get it to do that.