Re: [RDFa] ISSUE-8: RDF containers in RDFa

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 17:14 -0700, Ben Adida wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for your clarifications on this, this is quite useful.
>
> So I propose the following super simple approach to handling lists and
> containers. I'd like us to consider it because it would really make RDFa
> quite well rounded.

It seems technically coherent (except for a few details... see below).

The cost of adding it doesn't fall on me, but if it did, I would want
to see a more compelling use case, i.e. one that doesn't use
abstract "foo" and "bar" terms.

> Effectively, since UL and OL don't really map cleanly to *one* concept
> of an RDF container or collection, I propose we not try to map them. We
> simply use the <LI> structure as syntactic sugar for either rdf:li or
> rdf:first, rdf:next, rdf:nil, where appropriate

by rdf:next, I assume you mean rdf:rest

> So, for example:
>
> <ul attr_that_shall_not_be_named="rdf:List">
> <li href="/foo">foo</li>
> <li href="/bar">bar</li>
> <li href="/baz">baz</li>
> </ul>
>
> yields

turtle doesn't use commas in lists. so that's

which, just to be clear, is short for...

 [ rdf:first </foo> ; rdf:rest [
    rdf:first </bar>; rdf:rest [
      rdf:first </baz>; rdf:rest rdf:nil ]]].

> while replacing rdf:List with rdf:Seq or rdf:Bag would yield the
> corresponding RDF container construct.

by that I gather you mean:

 [ rdf:type rdf:Seq;
   rdf:_1 </foo>;
   rdf:_2 </bar>;
   rdf:_3 </baz> ].

> Changing from UL to OL doesn't change a thing from the RDFa perspective.
> When there is no @href, we use the content of the LI as a literal,
> possibly overridden by @content.
>
> Thoughts?

@href on li is new to me. I'm not sure what to think of that;
I gather it's the subject of another issue (ISSUE-34: @href everywhere),
so if I have anything to say about it, I guess I'll say
it under that subject.