what are you saying?

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:49:24 +0100
To: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Mark, I'm really grateful that you posted a response to my post, my
blog infrastructure is hard work at the moment. But mail is easier...

Interesting comments, but you haven't addressed the main point.
@profile is defined in HTML and XHTML as being a way to indicate how
values in <link> and <meta> should be 'interpreted'. For example, if I
wanted to use Dublin Core values in @rel, I shouldn't do so unless I
define a @profile value.

Rubbish. Look at the HTML spec on Meta data profiles. It has nothing
(specifically) to do with link or meta.

But RDFa doesn't have any 'values'. It's not like Dublin Core, or
hCard, or iCal, or FOAF. It's not a vocabulary, it's a syntax. So to
use @profile to indicate that we are using a specific syntax may feel
clever, but it's simply wrong from an HTML point of view, and I don't
see how it could be argued that this is consistent with WebArch.

I don't understand what you say there, please. Give me a
dereferenceable URI so I can learn.

It's true that GRDDL does use @profile, but the two ways it does so
are both consistent with HTML 'principles'.

The first way GRDDL uses @profile is to indicate that the value
'transformation' in @rel, indicates a GRDDL transformation. That's the
right way to use @profile, since it indicates a vocabulary (albeit a
very small one :)), and without it the appearance of
@rel="transformation" would be incorrect.

(It's true that HTML does not define how this mechanism works, but
that doesn't change the way it is specified.)

The second way GRDDL uses @profile is that if there is a document at
the end of the URL placed in @profile in an HTML or XHTML document,
that document may in turn contain a reference to a transformation.
This does not change the normal use of @profile (i.e., to indicate
that a vocabulary is being used), since all it is doing is cleverly
piggy-backing on the 'proper' usage.

At this point I start to wonder what planet you are on (with all due
respect), because the html doc is benevolent - "here's a profile,
interpret it how you like, link or ID" - your agent may have

But to have a URL in @profile that refers to a document that serves no
other purpose than to carry a reference to a GRDDL
transformation...that's stretching things a bit! That's quite a hack,
since the document referred to is no longer being referred to in order
to indicate that a vocabulary is being used--because RDFa doesn't have
one--but is present to indicate that attributes are being used.

Address my point please sir, how does the RDFa-aware agent know what
it is looking at?

If you are suggesting that scraping, based on well-known string is the
the determinator, then... well actually I think you said that

"No-one else will use these 8-character strings"

Sorry Mark, that breaks the Web.

What I would really appreciate is a clear statement of what works for
you, what doesn't - seriously, I might well be wrong. Show.