Re: RDFa RFE: No Mandated DOCTYPE

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:01:41 -0600
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>
CC: Simone Onofri <simone.onofri@gmail.com>, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, Fabien Gandon <Fabien.Gandon@sophia.inria.fr>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, bnowack@semsol.com, dave@dajobe.org, public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 9:44 AM, Simone Onofri <simone.onofri@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I hope using xmlns and DTD can cover all questions about it.
>>

> I don't see how this covers the only question, which, for the benefit
> of those newly CC'd, is how to discover easily whether a document is
> RDFa or not using only generic off-the-shelf XML tools like SAX
> parsers and XSLT.
>
> Certainly an @profile value for RDFa would cover it, and I hope that
> such a thing will be mandatory in the conformance section for XHTML +
> RDFa.

I do not believe it will be mandatory, but...  just out of curiosity,
why doesn't the DTD cover all questions.  Forgive my ignorance, but
don't these "off the shelf" tools permit access to the DOCTYPE declaration?