Re: RDFa serializer?

From: Keith Alexander <k.j.w.alexander@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:21:11 +0100
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@danbri.org>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

>   <rdf:Property rdf:about="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/openid"
> vs:term_status="unstable" rdfs:label="openid" rdfs:comment="An OpenID
> for an Agent.">
>      <rdf:type
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#ObjectProperty"/>
>      <rdfs:subPropertyOf
> rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/isPrimaryTopicOf"/>
>      <rdf:type
> rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#InverseFunctionalProperty"/>
>      <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Agent"/>
>      <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document"/>
>      <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"/>
> </rdf:Property>
> How should this look "ideally" in RDFa, to make nice HTML? How close
> could an automatic serializer get to that?

Hi Dan,

This is sort of close to something I've been doing lately, which is
building an interface to a store of RDF schemas. I use a definition list
(<dl>) to display the properties of each resource.

As it happens, I stuck a bit of eRDF in the markup - which would, I think,
be fairly similar to an RDFa representation of the same thing.

Here's a page showing a description of the foaf:openid property.

So for a  generic html rendering of a graph, I personally use a <dl> to
represent the resource (well, I actually use a parent div of the <dl> so I
can include, eg: an <h1 property="rdfs:label">)
(this would be <dl about="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/openid">) and then for
each property, I use a <dt> to display the rdfs:label of that property,
and a <dd> to display the value of the object.
In RDFa this might be something like <dt>Term Status</dt><dd
Or if the value is the uri of another resource, something like:

<dd><a rel="rdfs:isDefinedBy" href="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"><span

(this is assuming that the namespaces are defined further up in the

This is my general approach at least (always glad to hear suggestions for
improvements though).

ps: Hope I've got the RDFa right! I'm not as intimately familiar with the
syntax as others on this list.