Re: When does a document "contain" RDFa?

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 15:55 -0400, Ben Adida wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This question seems to come up often, and it came up in this week's telecon:
>
> When does a document "contain" RDFa?
>
> The short answer: HTML documents already contain semantic information.
> RDFa is about naturally extending these existing mechanisms to be more
> expressive and scalable. There's no need to flag documents as
> "containing RDFa," however: they already do by virtue of being HTML
> documents.

For some specification of HTML to be developed/ratified, right?

The existing HTML specs don't already tell you how to get RDF
out of HTML documents; they don't tell you the full URI
for license in rel="license" in particular. And there isn't
a trail from the HTTP headers thru the MIME registry to
an HTML spec that cites the RDF spec normatively.

I think it is reasonable to interpret HTML documents
this way; i.e. it's consistent with the intent of authors.
We just need to get the HTML spec to say what's going on
clearly.

hmm... it's a little ironic... the title of the 1st HTML
Internet Draft was

                  Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)

   A Representation of Textual Information *and MetaInformation*
                   for Retrieval and Interchange
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/draft-ietf-iiir-html-01.txt

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E