Re: Using the CLASS attribute - Request for Feedback

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 15:10 -0400, Ben Adida wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a request for feedback on a pending decision of the task force.
>
> All active members of the task force are currently in agreement that the
> CLASS attribute in HTML should be viewed as an rdf:type declaration on
> that element. Of course, we want to do this such that no unexpected
> triples are produced by unsuspecting HTML authors.
[...]
> Please send your feedback in response to this message. There's good
> precedent for using the CLASS attribute in this way (eRDF,
> microformats), and we feel that the result should never yield anything
> unexpected to the HTML author.

Microformats uses the class attribute in several ways; the idiom
you describe is only one of them. Here's an excerpt
from a recent itinerary of mine:

href='https://bwi.flightview.com/fvSabreVT/fvCPL.exe?vthost=1W&amp;acid=393&amp;qtype=htm&amp;AL=AA&amp;Find1=Track+Flight'>AMERICAN AIRLINES FLT:393</a></span>

and the GRDDL transformation turns that into...

      <c:Vevent>
        <c:summary>AMERICAN AIRLINES FLT:393</c:summary>
        <c:url
r:resource="https://bwi.flightview.com/fvSabreVT/fvCPL.exe?vthost=1W&amp;acid=393&amp;qtype=htm&amp;AL=AA&amp;Find1=Track+Flight"/>

If I understand this proposal, I would (also?) get triples a la...

 _:span1 rdf:type :summary.
 _:anchor2 rdf:type :url .

which is very much unexpected.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E